Horizon 2020 (H2020) is the programme for research and innovation in the European Union for the period 2014-2020. Has a total budget of 77.028 M€ to support initiatives and projects of Research, technological development, demonstration and innovation of clear European added value.
Horizon 2020 brings together and reinforces the activities during the period 2007-2013 were funded by the seventh framework programme of research and development, the actions of the framework programme for innovation and competitiveness ( CIP) innovation and actions of the European Institute of innovation and technology ( EIT).
Program was created to support the implementation of the "Europe 2020" strategy and the initiative of the emblematic "Union for innovation", directly contributing to addressing the main challenges of the society, to create and maintain industry in Europe leadership as well as strengthen the excellence of core scientific, essential for sustainability, prosperity and well-being of Europe long-term.
The programme focuses on three pillars:
- Excellent science, to reinforce the scientific excellence of the Union around the world, mainly through open thematic initiatives and in general, individual projects.
- Industry leadership, to accelerate the development of technologies, mainly: technologies of information and communication (technology ICT), nanotechnology, advanced materials, biotechnology, manufacturing and advanced processing and space technology; to help European innovative SMEs to become leading companies in the world and to facilitate the financing of risk in research activities and innovation in arrival at the market.
- Social challenges, to provide a direct response to the political priorities and challenges identified in the strategy Europe 2020, such as security, energy, transport, climate change and efficiency of resources, health and aging, eco-friendly production methods and the management of the territory.
And comes complete with:
- actions of the Joint Research Centre (JRC in its acronym in English), which is a center of the European Commission.
- actions of the European Institute of innovation and technology (EIT).
- the cross-cutting actions "Spreading excellence and expanding participation" and "Science and for society" that H2020 benefits reach all the countries of the Union and have an impact positive in society.